Be your own filmmaker and be entered to win a trip
Since we launched Expedia’s “Find Yours” campaign last year at the TBEX blogger conference in Keystone, Colorado, we’ve told stories that illustrate the personal relevance and emotion of travel. Of all the possible ways you can tell a travel story, film is perhaps the most powerful. The stories of Nikki and Jill’s marriage in Find Your Understanding and of Maggie’s story as a St. Jude patient illustrate that power. Really, what travel blogger hasn’t been inspired by the great travel destinations seen in film?
Now one travel blogger will get the chance to star in his or her own travel short film. This spring marked the second year we’ve partnered with National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY), the world’s largest youth film festival. Today, the partnership is just going to get better. We’ve partnered with NFFTY to determine five iconic cities often seen on the silver screen, including: Australia, Paris, Morocco, London, and Seattle. The Expedia Viewfinder Film Contest starts June 5 and the entry period will close on June 30, 2013.
To enter the contest, travel bloggers must write a blog post on their own blog about how they would “find theirs” in one of the locations above if they were chosen for the star of a 2-3 minute film then share it on Expedia Viewfinder ™ by putting your blog post URL in the comments of this blog. Entries and film suggestions can be fiction or non-fiction. After the entry period closes, a panel of judges will evaluate the entries based upon the following criteria before selecting and announcing the winner in July:
- Incorporation of the contest elements (chosen destination and Find Yours).
- The Focus or theme of the entry (for example: culture, adventure, food/wine, family-friendly travel, budget-friendly travel, luxury travel, etc.).
One blogger, along with a NFFTY representative and an assigned NFFTY filmmaker, will win an all-expense paid trip for up to four nights to the winning destination to create a “Find Yours” video.
Congratulations to Kelley Ferro, the winner of the Expedia film contest for her "Find Your Magic" Morocco blog post!
No Purchase Necessary. A Purchase will not Increase Your Chances of Winning.
1. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to writers of travel content for a publicly available blog.
2. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Entry Period: The Contest begins at 8:00 AM PT on June 5, 2013 and ends at 11:59 PM PT on June 30, 2012 (the “Entry Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. Contest Overview: Participants will write a blog on their site mentioning the Expedia/NFFTY contest and specifying one of the five destinations, (Paris, Morocco, Australia, London, and Seattle) that they think is most ideal to “Find Your ____.” The content of their blog would focus on what they would do if they visited this particular destination to make a travel “Find Your ____” video. Participants would officially enter their blog post on Expedia’s Viewfinder blog by the end of the Entry Period to become eligible to win.
6. Determining the Winner: After the Entry Period closes, a panel of judges chosen by Sponsor will evaluate the entries on the following criteria: quality of travel blog, incorporating the contest elements, creativity, appealing scenario, and the focus or theme of the entry (for example, culture, adventure, food/wine, family-friendly travel, budget-friendly travel, luxury travel, etc.) The decision of the judges is final.
7. Winner Notification and Requirements: The potential winner will be notified by email (sent to the email address provided by the entrant when entering) and/or telephone, in Sponsor’s discretion, on or about July 12, 2013. The potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and a liability/publicity release in order to receive the prize. If the potential winner is a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the documents on his/her behalf. If the potential winner fails to return the signed documents in a timely manner, he/she will forfeit the prize and Sponsor may select an alternate potential winner.
8. Prize: Expedia will send the winning blogger, accompanied by a NFFTY representative and filmmaker, on an all-expense paid trip [for 4 days] to the chosen destination to film for up to 48 hours a "Find Yours" video.
9. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes according to the procedures set forth above. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any person who seeks to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the Twitter account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
10. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) any errors on the Twitter platform that may prevent an entrant from entering or receiving direct messages; (d) printing errors; (e) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (f) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (g) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
11. Disputes: You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Washington. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Washington or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Washington.
Expedia compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site, such compensation may include travel and other costs.