- This event has passed.
Expedia “Share Aloha” Essay Contest
April 9, 2015
UPDATE: The email address for submission of essays in the Share Your Aloha Essay Contest is: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you tried to submit your essay previously and received an error message, please try again using this address.
The Expedia Viewfinder team is coming to Maui! Through a first of its kind partnership with the Maui Visitors and Convention Bureau, our team of expert travel authors will be exploring and sharing images of what we believe makes Maui an ideal travel destination. We want to get to the heart of Maui, and that includes the spirit of Aloha. Since we know that the greatest treasure of any destination is the people, we thought who better to ask than the youth of Maui?
So we want to know – what does Aloha mean to you? Share your thoughts, and you and your teacher could win trips courtesy of Expedia.
Due to the volume of applicants, we will be unable to contact each participant. We will reach out if we believe you best describe what Aloha means to you.
How to Enter: Write an essay between 200 – 250 words describing “What Aloha Means to Me”. Ask your parent or legal guardian to sign the Waiver Form, which can be found here: Waiver Form. Send your essay and the completed Waiver Form via an email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Expedia “Share Aloha” Essay Contest”.
Expedia “Share Aloha” Essay Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to students who are legal residents of Maui County, Hawaii, are in grades 6 through 12 and attend a public or private school with a 501(c)(3) certification . Eligible students must obtain their parent or legal guardian’s permission and must have a waiver release (as referenced below) signed by their parent or legal guardian prior to participating or submitting an entry. Employees of Expedia, Inc., and its subsidiaries, affiliates, promotion and advertising agencies, and members of their immediate families (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees are not eligible to enter or win.
2. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: By entering, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Contest Period: The Contest begins at 12:00 PM Pacific Time (“PT”) on Thursday, April 9, 2015 and ends at 11:59 PM PT on Thursday, April 30, 2015 (the “Entry Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Enter: Write an essay between 200 – 250 words describing “What Aloha Means to Me”. Ask your parent or legal guardian to sign the Waiver Form, which can be found here: Waiver Form. Send your essay and the completed Waiver Form via an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Expedia “Share Aloha” Essay Contest”. Your email will complete your entry (the “Entry”). To be eligible, your Entry must be received within the Contest Period.
6. Essay Content Requirements: Only single author essays qualify. No co-authored essays will be accepted. Essays must have at least 200 words and no more than 250 words maximum. Your essay must not: (a) violate any third party rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademark rights, or rights of privacy and publicity; (b) reference any risky behavior; (c) feature any trademarks or logos; or (d) have been entered in any other contest or have been published or distributed in any other media. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any essay for any reason. By submitting an essay, you represent and warrant that: (a) the essay is an original work created solely by you; (b) you own all rights to the essay; and (c) the entry complies with all requirements of these Rules.
7. Sponsor’s Rights to Essays: By participating, you: (a) irrevocably grant Sponsor, its agents, licensees, and assigns the unconditional and perpetual (non-exclusive) right and permission to copyright, reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use your photo as-is or as-edited (with or without using your name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party; (b) forever waive any rights of copyrights, trademark rights, privacy rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude Sponsor’s use of your Entry, or require any further permission for Sponsor to use the Entry; and (c) agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against Sponsor on the grounds that any use of the photo, or any derivative works, infringes any of your rights as creator of the Entry, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights, and moral rights.
8. Selection of Winner: On or about May 8, 2015, a panel of judges selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion will review all eligible Entries submitted during the entire Contest Period, and select two (2) potential winners (one (1) potential winner from grades 6 through 8 and one (1) potential winner from grades 9 through 12) based on the following criteria: 40% – the essay depicts an inspirational view of what aloha means to the individual , 40% – the essay conveys great emotion, and 20% – the essay shows creativity and originality. The one (1) Entry from among all eligible Entries received from students in grades 6 through 8 and the one (1) Entry from among all eligible Entries received from students in grades 9 through 12 will be deemed potential winners. The decision of the judges is final. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score in the creativity and originality category from among all tied Entries will be deemed the winner.
9. Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners: Sponsor will reach out directly to potential winners via the telephone number provided in the Entry on or about May 9, 2015. Sponsor will then follow up with each potential winner via email with instructions on how to claim the prize. If a potential winner does not respond and comply with the instructions in the email message within two (2) days from the date of initial notification, he/she will forfeit the prize and Sponsor may award the prize to a runner-up for the applicable prize. Only three (3) runner-ups will be contacted for each prize. Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner is an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the documents on his/her behalf.
10. Prizes (2): Two (2) winners will each receive two(2) Five Hundred Dollar ($500) Expedia Travel Vouchers; one for their use and one to give to the teacher of their choice (approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each prize: $1,000). Total ARV of all prizes awarded: $2,000. Each winner will be required to provide Sponsor with the complete name of the teacher in which they wish to provide a voucher to prior to such voucher being awarded. Winner is responsible for all taxes on prizes and expenses, including without limitation, federal, state and local sales and income taxes, luxury taxes and any other costs incurred in claiming or using the prize. The travel voucher expires May 31, 2016 and can only be used on one (1) booking. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason.
11. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the operation of the Contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any person who seeks to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
12. Rights Associated with Contest: Submission of the Essay and fully executed Waiver Form constitutes permission from the participant’s parent/legal guardian for Expedia to use the participants’ name, likeness, biographical information, information and materials contained in the Essay, photographs, and any statements or remarks made about the Contest in advertising and promotion without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All Entries, and any copyrights therein, become the sole property of Expedia. By entering, entrants’ parent/legal guardian agree to abide by the above stated rules, and warrant that their child’s/ward’s entry is their original work and does not infringe upon or violate the rights of any third party, and grant to Expedia the right to edit, publish, promote, and otherwise use their entry materials without permission, notice or compensation. No royalties will be paid at this or any time. By submitting an Entry, and Waiver Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to assign all right, title, and interest in and to the Entry and to Expedia and warrants that the participant’s parent/legal guardian has the authority to assign such right, title, and interest. In the event that any applicable law requires certain formalities to be fulfilled to effectuate such grant of rights, each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to cooperate with Expedia to achieve fulfillment of such formalities. By submitting an Essay and Waiver Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of participant, agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules. Each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to release and hold Expedia, and its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, or other affiliated companies (“Released Parties”) harmless from any and all damages, losses, claims and liabilities arising out of participation in the Contest or resulting from acceptance or claiming of any prize hereunder. Expedia reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate, suspend or otherwise cancel the Contest at any time. Income and all other taxes are the responsibility of the prize recipient. Expedia is not responsible for any expenses incurred in connection with participation in the Contest.
14. Disputes: You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Washington. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, including its choice of laws provision.
15. Results: To request a winners’ list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks after the end of the Contest Period.