Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
7 Las Vegas adventures to match your personality
With its alluring nightlife and lineup of luxury hotels, Las Vegas isn't just a glimmering metropolis
With its alluring nightlife and lineup of luxury hotels, Las Vegas isn’t just a glimmering metropolis that rises like a mirage out of the Mojave Desert—it’s also base camp for a range of outdoor adventures. There are a bevy of things to do in Las Vegas for active enthusiasts. Read on to find a physical pursuit (or two!) to match your personality type.
- The River Rat: Is your other car an inflatable raft? Are you more at home on a thundering river than a bustling city street? If so, you’ll want to join Adventure Photo Tours on a 12-mile river-rafting tour. A welcoming river guide retrieves you from your Sin City hotel and leads you on a 12-mile (19-km) float down the Colorado River, replete with sights of soaring eagles and bubbling hot springs. Following the cruise, head to the Hoover Dam for an illuminating look at this feat of human engineering.
- The Cameleer: Never ridden an ungulate? No problem. Climb atop an endearing camel and venture into the desert during an unforgettable desert trek. Your Camel Safari guide is an experienced camel handler who helps you clamber along dusty roads with the umber peaks of the Virgin Mountains in the distance. After your ride, cool off back the ranch and feed the baby camels a bottle, if you like.
- The Paddler: Stand-up paddleboarding, canoeing, kayaking, rafting. . . If these are some of your favorite things, join Blazin Paddles on a twilight kayak tour when the moon is full. Trade the star-studded streets of Las Vegas for the stars in the sky, departing from downtown in the early evening and landing at a put-in site near the Hoover Dam. When the sun sinks out of view, paddle downstream under twinkling stars and an omniscient moon.
- The Thrill-Seeker:
Satisfy your inner daredevil during a fast-paced zipline adventure that launches from the Rio Hotel in the heart of Las Vegas. High above the concrete playground, allow the experts at VooDoo Zipline to outfit you with a safety harness. Then, soak up the Nevada sunshine while soaring a total of 800 foot (242 m) to the Rio’s sister tower. Zoom back to your starting point at a 20-mile-per-hour (32-km/h) clip, and gain premier access to VooDoo Nightclub to continue the thrills.
5. The Day-Tripper: Do you fantasize about wide-open spaces? Is your idea of paradise a perch along the shores of a glassy lake? If so, join Take A Hike Vegas on a small-group hike near Lake Mead. Leave Vegas at the break of day and chart a course to Lake Mead. At the trailhead, don your hiking boots and circumnavigate the manmade reservoir, maintaining a watchful gaze for antelope and bighorn sheep. After your hike, find some local hot springs to sink into and feel your tension melt away.
- The Wild Mustang: Is your idea of the ideal Friday night curling up with a bowl of popcorn and a Spaghetti Western? Have you been longing to put those cowboy boots in your closet to good use? Then don your Stetson hat and saddle up for a horseback excursion with Wild West Horseback Adventures. Out on the trail, discover rocky riverbeds, trickling alpine streams, and jagged mountain peaks. Hope to spot a grey fox or jackrabbit before indulging in a sumptuous meal surrounded by gorgeous desert scenery.
- The Romantic: Have you been wanting to “make it official,” but haven’t found the right time? Is your significant other an outdoor enthusiast who loves nothing more than spending a day in nature? Of all the things to do in Las Vegas, a hiking wedding ceremony hosted by Love Hikes might be just the thing. A skilled guide escorts you to Valley of Fire State Park, where you can admire towering sandstone formations, adorable desert wildlife, and best of all, the love of your life. A professional photographer captures your special moment near a waterfall that sparkles like diamonds in the midday sun.
Whether you’re a passionate river rafter, an intrepid day hiker, or a nature lover looking to tie the knot, Vegas offers opportunities for every outdoor adventurer. Which would you choose?
Expedia compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site, such compensation may include travel and other costs.
Latest posts by Expedia Local Expert (see all)
- Where to Celebrate International Sloth Day - October 15, 2018
- Best Halloween parties in the world - October 9, 2018
- Best Snorkeling in Hawaii: Big Island, Maui, and Oahu - October 1, 2018