Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
First look at Pandora – The World of Avatar
Sharing the details of this exciting new world.
Close your eyes.
Take a deep breath and imagine bioluminescent rainforests, floating mountains, and soaring banshees.
Now, get ready to be one of the first people to experience all of those things at Pandora – The World of Avatar at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
Opening May 27, 2017 and inspired by Academy-award winning filmmaker James Cameron’s box-office hit, Avatar, the new 12-acre land will immerse guests in the lush world of Pandora about a generation after the film’s human-Na’vi conflict.
Until we can see it all for ourselves in late May, we asked our friends at Disney to share all of the details. Here’s what they said.
The magical new land will transport Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests to the mystical world of Pandora for adventure, dining and drinking, and shopping.
1) Guests will be able to join the Na’vi on two excursions. First, riding a magnificent mountain banshee, guests will soar across Pandora on Avatar Flight of Passage. This high-tech adventure will offer a thrilling flight through the jungles and floating mountains, and over the majestic oceans of this colorful world.
On the family-friendly Na’vi River Journey guests will sail down a sacred river hidden within a glowing rainforest. The expedition will end in an unforgettable encounter with a Na’vi Shaman, a figure who has a deep connection to the life force of Pandora.
2) Between aerial adventures on Avatar Flight of Passage and family-friendly voyages aboard Na’vi River Journey guests can tuck inside the Quonset-hut structure called Satu’li Canteen—long ago an RDA mess hall, now a peaceful dining facility adorned with Na’vi art and cultural items. Guests will find healthful dishes and familiar flavors from another world—wholesome grains, fresh vegetables and hearty proteins.
3) When you’re thirsty, Pongu Pongu (meaning “Party Party” in the language of the Na’vi) will welcome weary travelers to try the “bioluminescent” frozen cocktail, indigenous beers, or even a sweet snack you won’t find elsewhere!
4) When it’s souvenir time, guests can head to Windtraders to discover exotic merchandise and items celebrating the flora, fauna, and culture of Pandora.
But that’s not all! Disney also shared details of plenty of other additions that will keep guests entertained all summer long (and beyond!). This is what they shared:
Viewfinder Tip: Ready to explore booking options? Head to Expedia’s Pandora page to discover more and to book your vacation.
- After the sun sets, Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests can enjoy Rivers of Light, a visually stunning after-dark experience that celebrates the majesty of nature and the connection between animals and humans. It’s a dramatic visual blend of water, fire, light, and imagery all choreographed to an original musical score.
- At Magic Kingdom Park, a brand-new show called Happily Ever After will feature the latest in fireworks, pyrotechnics, and projection technology, plus fresh animation, and a new musical score and theme song.
- Disney’s Water Parks are also offering enhancements. Guests can cool off on a whitewater adventure aboard Miss Adventure Falls, a brand new family-style raft attraction at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park. At Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park, the Frozen Summer Games return from May 26 to August 13.
- You’ll want to stop by Disney’s Hollywood Studio’s where new Star Wars experiences are immersing guests in the world of this iconic saga. Guests can now interact with BB-8, the loyal droid from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as other Star Wars characters inside Star Wars Launch Bay.
- The culinary scene at Disney Springs continues to evolve with more exciting food and beverage locales, including The Polite Pig and Paddlefish, both open now.
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resort will open as the newest Disney Vacation Club Resort on July 17. Inspired by the legendary mining and railroad history of the Pacific Northwest, guests will come “home” to rustic elegance with these new studios, villas and waterfront cabins.
That’s a lot of travel goodness, and we’ve got even more to share to help you plan your own vacation.
–Check out Expedia’s Facebook page and other social media channels during the week of May 21. We’ll be coming to you live from Walt Disney World to bring you the best of Pandora – The World of Avatar before it opens to the general public.
–Looking for more inspiration? We’ve got you covered with all things Disney right here on the Expedia Viewfinder Blog.
Which new Disney attraction are you most excited for?
Expedia compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site, such compensation may include travel and other costs.
This author has either a relationship with, or received other compensation (which may include monetary or in-kind compensation) from, the product or service providers that are the subject of this post.
Latest posts by No Vacation Required (see all)
- A New York State of Pride: WorldPride 2019 in New York - February 20, 2019
- Get fit and give back with Disney - November 26, 2018
- Disney’s Toy Story Land and Pixar Pier are here - August 21, 2018