You’re about to embark on one of life’s boldest adventures—marriage. You’ve got a great partner in crime—er, life. But before you say your vows and start a new chapter, it’s time to celebrate your friendships and take a few dares during an unforgettable bachelor party in San Diego. At least, we hope it’s unforgettable—in the sense that you remember it at all. With tons of breweries, wild water sports, and nonstop nightlife, America’s Finest City has everything you need to misbehave with your closest crew.
Whether you’re the groom-to-be or a best man, check out these awesome San Diego bachelor party ideas and plan your best outing yet:
For a party on wheels
Try to convince us that rocking a party bus in San Diego isn’t the best way to get around town. We’ll wait…
Didn’t find anything? We didn’t think so. San Diego has several local limo and bus companies that pull out all the stops (except when they reach a red light!). Some of the top-rated San Diego party buses include SD Luxury Limos, Aall In Limo & Party Bus, and Top Dog Limo Bus.
For the love of beer
San Diego is a beer lover’s happy place, and you can imbibe local libations on land or at sea. Check this out:
- Hops on the Harbor: Gourmet barbecue and seafood buffet with live music, beer tastings, and a cash bar ON A YACHT in San Diego Bay. P.S. Flagship Cruises & Events is happy to make your experience wheelchair accessible; just notify them ahead of time.
- Scavengers: Choose between local beer tours in downtown San Diego and North County. Your tour will stop to sample San Diego’s top brews, such as Coronado Brewing Company, Modern Times Beer, and Stone Brewing.
For those who like it hot
San Diego is basically a desert on the beach, so this city can definitely bring the heat. Keep your cool at one of the year-round pool parties in this sun-kissed destination!
- Lazy river at Harrah’s Resort: Harrah’s in “Funner, CA” is known for its lazy river with waterfalls and a swim-up bar. Stay at the resort or purchase a day pass and enjoy any day of the week. Live entertainment hits the water every Friday and Saturday night 8 p.m. – 1 a.m. (21+ only).
- Private pool party at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego: Want to really make the most of your last moments as a singleton? Book a private pool party at Level Four Pool Deck and Lounge and swim up to spectacular views of San Diego.
For fresh SoCal air
You’ll have to look long and hard to find a rainy day in San Diego, which is perfect for a bachelor party in the great outdoors. Add these activities to your itinerary:
- Hike Los Peñasquitos Canyon Trail: Easy enough for beginners and stunningly scenic, this trail will take you to waterfalls and creeks as you make the 4.7-mile trek with your buddies.
- Hot air balloon ride over Del Mar: Float over the beach community of Del Mar and watch one of San Diego’s famous sunsets. This is a great option for smaller parties with up to eight of your closest friends.
For the daredevils
With your best friends there to cheer you on, go ahead and take a risk. These outdoor adventures are safe, but they’ll still get your adrenaline pumping.
- Learn to surf: The experts at Wavehuggers will teach you and your entourage how to brave the best waves in San Diego. Take your pick of top surf spots, including La Jolla Shores and Tourmaline Surfing Park.
- Channel your inner Maverick: Take to the skies like Maverick with a thrilling Top Gun stunt pilot flying lesson from Sky Combat Ace. And yes, you do get to wear the flight suit.
For the laughs
Marriage is a serious commitment, no doubt about it. But you’ve got to find time to laugh along the way! Try your own material at open mic night, or listen to the pros draw out the guffaws.
- Mad House Comedy Club: The calendar is packed with America’s hottest up-and-coming comics, like Charlene Mae and Jesse Egan. Located downtown in a renovated old tavern, Mad House serves up laughs and amazing burgers. Sign up for their open mic night here!
- The American Comedy Co.: Order up craft cocktails and sliders and try to keep it together when today’s top comedians like Kate Quigley and Yassir Lester take the stage. The Great Gaslamp Open Mic is every Monday night at 8:00 p.m., and you can sign up at the club between 7:00 and 7:30 p.m. if you want to perform.
Other things to do in San Diego for a bachelor party
Want to add extra fun to your list of the best bachelor party things to do in San Diego? Here are more hot takes:
- San Diego Club Crawl gives you and the crew VIP perks and an insider’s advantage at San Diego’s nightclubs. This tour by Nasstive Entertainment includes discounts and a local tour guide.
- Chase the hair of the dog with brunch at Tom Ham’s Lighthouse in Point Loma. Bottomless bubbly and a huge buffet of healthy and hearty eats will fuel any adventure.
- La Jolla Sea Cave kayak tours will get you on the water and working as a team as you explore one of San Diego’s natural treasures.
- Balboa Park is always a great place for people-watching and unwinding. Located right in the center of the city, this is your one-stop-shop for museums, outdoor concerts, and more.
Where to stay in San Diego
Whatever you end up adding to the itinerary, you’ve got great hotels in San Diego to choose from. Want to know where to stay in San Diego for a bachelor party? Check these out!
- Downtown: Stay within walking distance of the best downtown bars and restaurants. Hard Rock Hotel San Diego features a poolside bar, fitness center, and spa.
- Mission Bay: The neighborhood’s peaceful atmosphere meets luxury at Bahia Resort Hotel. Enjoy waterfront views, walk to Mission Beach, and relax with on-site karaoke.
- Coronado: The island city is known for a beautiful beach and boutique hotels like Hotel Marisol Coronado. You’ll get personalized attention and great amenities, like free bike use and complimentary breakfast.
Visiting San Diego for the first time?
San Diego International Airport
Flights to San Diego arrive at San Diego International Airport. The airport is relatively small, making it an easy place to navigate and meet up with friends who are arriving from all over the country—or world. Located just 3 miles from downtown, it’s also a very convenient drive to hotels and several party venues in San Diego.
Transportation in San Diego
Rent a car at the airport or catch a ride with one of the local taxi companies or rideshare apps that service the airport. Driving is the most economical way for a group to get around, but if you want to skip drawing straws to pick a designated driver all weekend, these are solid transportation options:
- Rideshare and taxi: Rides from the airport to a hotel downtown will cost about $16-20.
- Public transportation: If you’re staying (and playing) close to downtown and other neighborhoods around Balboa Park, public transportation is a very affordable option. Day passes start at $5 and include the bus, trolley, and some commuter trains.
- Scooters: Rates vary, and you don’t have to look hard to find motorized scooters along San Diego sidewalks.
International travel trips to San Diego
If you’re planning to travel international to your bachelor party in San Diego, you want to be prepared. We answered a few of your top questions:
- What is the legal drinking age in the U.S.? The legal drinking age in the U.S. is 21 years old. This age also applies to recreational cannabis consumption, which is legal in California on private property (do not take cannabis across state lines).
- How much should I tip the servers and bartenders? It’s customary to tip good service with 20% of your food or drink price. For outstanding service, tip more.
- What documents does a Canadian need to enter the USA? If you are a Canadian traveler visiting the USA for a bachelor party—or any other short-term tourism—you may enter the country with a valid Canadian passport.
- Do I need a tourist visa to visit the USA? You may need to obtain a tourist visa prior to the bachelor party, depending on your nationality. Find out more from the U.S. Department of State.
- Can I rent a car if my driver’s license is from a different country? Yes! The state of California will accept valid driver’s licenses from other countries. Be sure to keep this accessible while you drive.
Your bachelor party is as much a celebration of your upcoming marriage as it is an excuse to gather your closest friends. Make time for new experiences and nostalgic stories with the people who stick by you through thick and thin. Be safe, be adventurous, and enjoy your San Diego getaway!