Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
A winter fitness break in Montreal
Staying active and enjoying winter in Montreal
Montreal is one of the best cities in the world to enjoy winter. We are well-known for our winter festivals, such as Igloofest that makes you dance—even if it’s -30 degrees celsius outside every weekend in January and February.
Montrealers are also very creative and there are so many different opportunities to enjoy winter, whether it’s with friends or as a family. You will never lack options in this fabulous city!
My itinerary will take you to three different neighborhood, three restaurants, and two parks. You will do approximately 24,000 steps. This is a lot, and yes, you might have cramps the next day, but it’s totally worth it!
9 a.m.: Gourmet breakfast
First of all, you will need to start off the day with a good breakfast. Depending on where you’re staying, here are a few options to grab the best croissants in town.
- If you’re staying in the Plateau, make sure to grab your croissant at Kouign Aman boulangerie. Very authentic and buttery.
- If you’re staying in Mile-End, you should go taste the renowned bagels at St Viateur Bagel—the best bagels in town (or in the world) since 1957!
- If you’re staying in Old Port, you should go to Olive and Gourmando for a gourmand breakfast. You will love the cozy atmosphere.
10 a.m.: Ice-skating or snow-yoga
There are more than 275 skating rings and ice rings in Montreal. However, if you didn’t bring your ice skates with you, there are a few places where you can rent those.
- If you had breakfast in the Plateau, take the metro to Old Port (Champ de Mars station): Patinoire du Vieux-Port de Montréal.
- If you had breakfast in Old Port, take the metro to the Plateau (Mont-Royal station): Patinoire du lac aux Castors.
- If you really don’t feel comfortable doing ice-skating, another fun option for you is to try Yoga Neige at Park Lafontaine for a very unique NAMASTÉ time.
1 p.m.: Healthy lunch
- La Panthère Verte: for the best falafel in town.
- Le Poke Bar: for the best poke bowl in town.
- You should also try our Montreal-brewed Kombucha: Rise! Many flavors to give you energy for the rest of your active day.
2 p.m.: Chalet du Mont Royal (Parc Mont-Royal Viewpoint)
After exploring your area, your next goal should be to get on top of the Mount Royal in order to continue with an active day!
You can either walk up the stairs (25 stairs) from downtown, or walk up the park or just take the bus #11 from Mont Royal Street.
3 p.m.: Cross-country skiing at Parc Mont-Royal
Let’s meet at Lac des Castors. It will feel like a ski station literally in the heart of the city. You have many options: ice-skating, tubbing, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
During my Fitbit itinerary, I chose to do cross-country skiing—wandering in Mont Royal forests and seeing nice viewpoint of the city along the way!
7 p.m.: Tasty dinner
At the end of the day, you should be hungry or thirsty. Montreal is the city with the highest proportion of restaurants per inhabitant, so you will never lack options! Here are a few recommendations.
- Imadake: a very nice izakaya restaurant downtown.
- La Banquise: to try the poutine, this place is perfect as they stay open 24/7 and have a large menu to please everyone.
Distance: 7.5 miles
Calories burnt: 1,267
This blog was written by Clara, who works as a Market Associate at Expedia office in Montreal. She loves traveling as much as she loves her current city. She’s been living in Montreal for the past 7 years and one of the thing she loves the most about her city is the diversity and multi-ethnicity of its people, neighborhoods, activities… When she’s not out with her friends to try new restaurants, she’s often planning her upcoming travels.
Expedia compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site, such compensation may include travel and other costs.
Latest posts by Expedia Guest Author (see all)
- Experience the Charm and History of Baltimore - May 15, 2019
- Exploring Excellence Oyster Bay, Jamaica: The Excellence Collection’s Newest Adults-Only All-Inclusive Resort - May 8, 2019
- Celebrating #ExpediaChat winners for 2019 - January 1, 2019