Google searches for “Black-owned” have seen a significant increase since the end of May. Travelers who want to support Black hospitality entrepreneurs and diversity in the tourism industry can choose from a variety of accommodations—hotels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, and vacation rentals—for their next getaway.
When you’re ready to take a vacation, let this guide support you in the planning process!
- Salamander Resort & Spa — Middleburg, VA
- Family-friendly resort with two restaurants and a full-service spa
- The Ivy Hotel — Baltimore, MD
Luxury hotel in Downtown Baltimore, near Baltimore Inner Harbor Marina
- 4-Bedroom Vacation Home with Pool — Atlanta, GA
- Vacation home in Atlanta with kitchen and patio (all to yourself!)
- The Henderson, a Salamander Beach & Spa Resort — Destin, FL
- Five-star resort with pools, private beach, and full-service spa (plus, it’s part of Expedia’s VIP Access hotels, which means extra perks for members)
- Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort — Palm Harbor, FL
- Family-friendly condo resort near Wall Springs Park
- The Copper Door B&B — Miami, FL
- Bed & breakfast in Overtown, near Downtown Miami Shopping District
- Hotel Bennett — Charleston, SC
- Luxury hotel in Charleston Historic District, walk to College of Charleston
- 4-Bedroom Waterfront Vacation Home with Pool — Hilton Head Island, SC
- Waterfront vacation home with private pool and kitchen
- Clevedale Historic Inn & Gardens — Spartanburg, SC
- Bed & breakfast in Spartanburg with free breakfast
- Sonesta Silicon Valley — Milpitas, CA
- Suburban hotel with free airport shuttle and restaurant (also part of Expedia’s VIP Access hotels)
- Six Acres Bed & Breakfast — Cincinnati, OH
- Bed & breakfast with free breakfast, and a restaurant
- La Maison Bed & Breakfast — Houston, TX
- Urban bed & breakfast in Midtown within walking distance of the Houston Museum District
- Urban Cowboy — Nashville, TN
- Adults-only bed & breakfast in East Nashville with free parking
- Quintessentials Bed & Breakfast & Spa — East Marion, NY
- Bed & breakfast with private beach, and full-service spa
- 5-Bedroom Vacation Home Minutes from Downtown Oak Bluffs — East Chop, MA
- Vacation home nestled behind the historic Shearer Cottage on a quiet lane in East Chop that can accommodate up to 13 guests!
- Cozy, Adults-Only Villa with Private Beach — Montego Bay, Saint James
- Adults-only vacation home in Montego Bay
- Half Moon Resort — Montego Bay, Saint James
- Five-star resort with pools, private beach, and full-service spa
- Negril Tree House Resort — Negril, Westmoreland
- Beachfront resort with calming spa services
Bonus! Every vacation requires a mode of transportation. If walking, biking, or public transportation isn’t an option (or simply isn’t your cup of tea), consider renting a car from one of the BIPOC-owned car rental agencies below.
Latino-owned and operated car rental companies are few and far between these days in the rental car industry. Economy is a family-owned car rental company in business since 1987, growing from a 15 car operation in San Jose, Costa Rica to now 101 locations worldwide and thousands of vehicles in its fleet. For those that have been able to travel to the beautiful country of Costa Rica, the first thing that you immediately pick up on is how friendly the people there are. The Muniz family states that they have applied the values of the Costa Rican people to expand the company and is proud to be offering friendly service to customers of all different and diverse backgrounds in the United States and around the world. Economy has been partnered with Expedia since 2009!
If you want to book with them, we strongly recommend checking out Orlando, Florida. Whether you’re headed to Disney or just looking for sunshine, this Latino-led rental car company will serve you with a smile.
Mex is a 100% Mexican-owned car rental company in business since 2013, but with the roots of its founders, the Turismo Gargo group, stretching back in the car rental business all the way to 1994. The company started in Baja California Sur with a fleet of only ten cars in the city of La Paz and today it has over 16,000 vehicles all around the world, serving customers in 23 countries. Mex has been partnered with Expedia since 2015.
If you want to book with Mex, we strongly recommend their home country of Mexico. Whether you’re headed to the beach, climbing pyramids, or visiting family, this Mexican rental car company will get you to your destination in comfort.
Routes Car Rental is an Indo-Canadian family-owned car rental company. Routes was founded by Mr. Hardeep Nagra in 1998 with one location in Toronto, Canada operating with just five vehicles. Through hard work and a commitment to providing superior customer service, Routes has grown into one of the premier car rental companies in North America with locations throughout Canada, and over the past 4 years has expanded its operations into the U.S. and beyond. Routes has been partnered with Expedia since 2016, which has helped to contribute to the growth of the company.
If you want to book with Routes, we strongly recommend using them in Chicago at the Chicago O’Hare Airport where customers will enjoy their new, current model rental vehicle and be able to explore the many exciting sites the “Windy City” has to offer.
Zoom Rent A Car is a car rental company owned by the Indo-Canadian Family Sahota family. Founded by Mike Sahota in Toronto in 2000, Zoom started the business with nine vehicles. Mike worked hard over the years to expand his fleet as well as his vision to cover leisure travel. Zoom established a good brand with a variety of vehicles serving clients now at three major Canadian airports. Zoom’s future plan is to expand to locations across North America. Zoom has been partnered with Expedia since 2019.
If you want to book with Zoom, we strongly recommend Toronto, Canada. You may be headed to a Leafs game or up the CN Tower, but no matter what your trip has in store, Zoom will get you there. As they like to say, “You make the call Zoom will be there.”
Once you’ve landed, collected your rental car, and checked in, it’s time to take part in the best things to do in your destination by BIPOC-owned businesses. Great Explorations Tours is just one such activities provider, and their tours give you a chance to experience the true essence of Atlanta and the US Virgin Islands.
Great Explorations Tours
Founded by Hamblet Williams in 1995 and currently run by Shelley Williams, this minority-run, family-owned tour company uses its unique perspective to offer some of the best tours in Atlanta. Great Explorations features a Civil War to Civil Rights Tour that explores the history that occurred between the Battle of Atlanta in 1864 and the Civil Rights movement of 1964. Learn all about how converging factors like Jim Crow laws, segregation, and gentrification contributed to the landscape of Atlanta. While in Atlanta, be sure to check out the Private Dr. King’s Civil Rights Tour with Southern Lunch to learn all about the human-rights icon, with visits to the King Center and Auburn Ave where he grew up.
If instead, you find yourself in the tropical climes of the US Virgin Islands, Great Explorations has you covered with tours of beaches and the Caribbean countryside. If you’d like to stay closer to home and support small and BIPOC-owned businesses throughout the Virgin Islands, take a virtual tour of this paradise and enjoy a box of handcrafted goods shipped right to your home.
What BIPOC-owned experience would you like to book?